Pages

Give Me Your Eyes... Love This Song

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Weekend Off

Hey All!

Well, it's been one week in Kenya and so far so pretty exciting things have happend. ;)

As Deb Shelhaas put it, "now you can cross being robbed in a foreign country off your bucket list." hahaha. SO true. My recomendation is that if it's on YOUR bucket list... just say you did and dont do it. :)

Sat: Robbed

Sun: I experienced my first African penticostal church. IT WAS AMAZING! They danced, sang loudly, screamed into microphones the truth of God's love and providence. It was a sermon I really needed to hear after the night previous. After church we went to the police station (again) to give our statements (again) and recieve our abstracts... which I proceeded to lose after 2 hours in my posession. My brain was basically useless for 48hrs after the attack.

Mon: Embassy day with Rhianna (another girl who was robbed). First we went to the US Embassy, but it was closed for Martin Luther King Day. UGH! Seriously!? Starbucks isn't closed that day... shouldn't the US EMBASSY be open? But it turned out ok because the taxi driver and I had to spend 5 hours in the Canadian Embassy parking lot to wait for Rhianna. We took naps, read magazines, smelled flowers, discussed Obama (people in Kenya love that he's Kenyan. Everyone asks, "Do you think I look like Obama?" hahaha).
Also, that night Heidi, Deb, and my mom called to tell me to stay. SO, another awesome God moment: If the embassy had been open, I would have changed my flight already to leave. I wouldn't have been able to stay.

Tue: Went to Nairobi to buy a cell phone. First day at work placement. It was mainly a tour day. I met Madame Morra and the kids. Most of the kids are HIV+ and are pretty sickly. If you'd like to pray for them, they could use it.

Wed: First day of work. HARD WORK. It took about 6 hours to wash dishes, wash Kepha (the baby), sweep and mop the house, and start lunch. ThIs is because there is no elecricity or running water. Everything is such a process.

Thur: Another day of work, but it seemed to go better. I was sick however after work because Morra fed me way too much. She was proud of having food, and wanted to spoil her guest. Little does she know I eat like a 1st grader....barely.

Fri: Woke up still sick. The bathroom has become my best friend in Kenya. (yes I know... tmi) So, I didn't go back to work that day, and instead crawled back into bed till 2pm after being sick for 3 hours. At night, I ran some errands and went to the market with Naomi (my host mom) and Jamima (her sister). It was fun. I got 3 mangos for the equivalent of $.80! I also got to call all my best friends and family. It was great.

Today: I've lost my bank card and driver's license. I checked my account and there is no suspicious activity. I have to all the bank today (if heidi or mom read this... could you call for me?). I need to ask for another card sent to me (the office or the embassy).
I am also headed into Nairobi to get my phone fixed, because I can't recieve calls for some reason. Annoying. I also am going to go shopping a little. Then, I'm visiting Morra so she knows I'm OK. I'm going to teach Naomi and Jamima SKIPBO today. :)

Thanks for all your support!
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment