Pages

Give Me Your Eyes... Love This Song

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Attacked

I just found a cyber cafe... it's actually across from my house! haha. I am staying  with a host mom named, Naomi. She is so nice and sweet. Her English is great. I may be spending my last week with the missionaries from my church, however.

I really love my placement. I work in an orphanage house run by only one woman named, Momma Morra. She takes care of 34 children with no electricity, water, or income other than selling eggs and chickens. I know I am helping her a lot. She is such a wonderful lady. Except she feeds me too much compared to the kids and now I am having a sick stomache. I tell her, "just a little please," and she gives me a double portion.

Here are the details of the attack that happened my first 24hours in Kenya:
Me, two other volunteers, and a Fadhili worker were the last group waiting to go to our placements. Were in a gated and gaurded compound, but a car came in and the thugs followed. I didn't see how many there were, but the other girls said there were about 6-7 and two had guns. I just noticed a group of people coming from the street yelling, "get down. get down!" I thought there was trouble on the street so I ran to the wall. I man came and shoved me while grabbing my cross chain from my neck onto the ground. Thankfully, I fell on a pillow, otherwise I may have been badly hurt.
I lay face down for what seemed like forever. I heard people yelling and crying, but my mind was strangely blank. I didn't pray; I didn't think; I didn't know really what was going on. A man came and grabbed my legs. He said, "lay like this." I knew what he meant and flipped over. He patted my pockets, but all I had in them was eye drops. He grabbed them and then put the bottle back into my pocket. (I guess it was too borring to steal).
Then, I heard a car drive away and a lot of hands and feet above me. I seriously just layed staring at the sky and noticed how blue it was. It was strange. I felt so calm, until they left. Then I started crying.
People from the street came rushing in saying, "Polli, Polli, Sorry, Sorry," They felt so bad.
To make a very long ending short: the police stopped the car and reteaved our bags. The theives got away with all our cash and electronics, and my glasses! (strange thing to steal). We still have our credit cards and passports.

It is very strange. I am a celebrity in Ngong. People want to shake my hand, and everyone says, "Jambo, Hello, Mzungu (white person....haha. It's my new name)."

My phone does not recieve calls for some reason. I am going back into Nairobi on Saturday with my roommate, Jack to get it fixed, hopefully. SIde note: we thought my roommate Jack was doing drugs because he's never home and spends the nights away, but he is training with Kenyan athletes. Funny.

God Bless,
Leah

P.S. Thank you for all the prayers. They have helped a lot. I know.

3 comments:

  1. glad you found a cyber cafe. sure wish I could see that beautiful mug of yours. :)

    So thankful that God had his angels protecting you. Excited to see all that God has to teach you and what He is going to do through you. Save lots of mental images. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW LEAH!!!

    How scary... but THANK YOU JESUS! Your post gave me chills! I'll be praying for your mind and heart to know peace during your trip!
    You're often in my thoughts and prayers!

    -Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, Wow, scary. Praying for you and have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete