Pages

Give Me Your Eyes... Love This Song

Monday, March 14, 2011

Back Home

It is such a strange thing, leaving an emotionally draining, exhilarating, and changing experience to come home to normalcy.What do you do with a new group of memories that have no place in your every day life?

At work, my coworkers do want to know the truth of my experience. However, many customers are curious too. But, what do you say? The truth... "I was robbed by armed men; I was harrassed and scared almost my whole trip; I was left alone a good portion of my time; I met some amazing volunteers that I will never get to see again, and that makes me so sad; I miss baby Kepha and wish I could adopt him..." They don't want to know that. So, I say, "It was fine. I learned a lot." Then, they happily take their mocha or black coffee and finish their days. It's not that I resent their lack of sincerity, it that I want someone else in Grand Rapids to understand. But, they can't, and really I don't want them to. My experience is not something that I wish on others.

Yet, I feel guilty passing negative light on this trip because there were some amazing moments. I loved my host mom. She made me feel safe and loved in a place where there was no safety and maybe too much love (of my skin color).
I loved my friends, Katie, Lauren, Debbie, Emily, and Nikki. They kept me sane and happy. They were my traveling buddies, and we have a bond that no one will ever have with me again. It's an intimacy that shares no real depth.
Moraa, Moraa was my guiding light. She was an example of selflessness, faith, and happiness. She is a woman who is devastated materially and completely blessed spiritually. I am so happy to know her, and to have shared a part of her life.

Since coming home, I received word that another volunteer, Emily told her education organization about Moraa. Now, 6 of her kids are getting sent to school with new uniforms and books. They never have to worry again whether they will get to learn! Hallelujah

Thank you for following this journey with me. I've heard so many people say, "I loved your blog. I followed it like a novel." Thank you. It's nice to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment